Saturday 29 August 2015

Showcase: Destiny Strange Coins

For the gamers out there who follow this blog, there's a good chance you know what I'm talking about. For those who don't, here's an explanation. In the latest videogame by the game company Bungie, called Destiny, there's a currency called Strange Coins. Used to buy certain rare weapons and armour. They're quite rare, but also very liked among the community.

 Today on the official Destiny Forums over at Bungie.net I found someone who made a very accurate 3D model of these coins. I don't dare to say they're 100% accurate to the game, but accurate nonetheless. This nice person, going with the name of Adkos, made this model free to download, which I'll link to later on. It's set into a printable file, as he intended to make a complete, accurate physical model of the coin.

This file can be read by most, if not all, 3D printers and almost every 3D designing software. If you have access to either, I do encourage you to take a look and have fun with it. Just be warned, it is modelled after an object in a game. There might be copyright on it by Bungie or Activision. So I strongly advise to not try to distribute it. And while it's not needed, give credit where credit is due.


 

 Above are two of the official coins, front and back. Which I believe Bungie made themselves. Below is the original Adkos created, printed and painted. It looks very accurate to me.

 

And below that, the 3D model. A clean version and the one I textured. I don't own a 3D printer myself so I can't print a physical version sadly.

 
  


I plan to make a tutorial how I textured it early next week, to give everyone a look at how I texture empty models.

The model can be downloaded right here:
https://www.myminifactory.com/object/destiny-xur-s-strange-coin-two-sided-high-resolution-12964

You just need to make a free account on the Myminifactory site and download it. All files will be downloaded as a .stl file, which might look strange. But like I said, that file can be read by 3D printers and 3D design software.

I might do more showcases if I find more interesting models I'd like to texture. For now, this is it. I hope you enjoyed this new type of post! If there are any questions, feel free to comment.

0 reacties:

Post a Comment